Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Adventures In Cake




We all get bored sometimes.


What do you do?  I find pictures of cake and re-create them, my way.


So I was aimlessly clicking around some sites looking for inspiration for a cake for a friend's child's birthday, when I stumbled upon this:




It's perfection.  The little horses.  The faces and detail on the characters' outfits. It's also made by one of my heroes in cake, BethAnn Goldberg of Studio Cake in California.  If you're a Food Network Challenge addict like I am, you may have seen her on the Simpsons 20th Anniversary cake challenge (she won), or the Shrek Cakes challenge, or the Dora the Explorer challenge (she won, again).


So I nonchalantly posted the pic on my Facebook, and people said, "Make it!"  I said, "Okay!"


And now, here we are.  I've decided to document my cake makings.  Some will be successes, and some failures, but I'll put pictures of the intermediate steps and then the final product.  


The first step would be in deciding what I need to make a carousel cake.  I've decided to go all hexagon, as opposed to Studio Cake's circle base with hexagon interior.  I used a classic Wonder Mold pan to make my tent top.


Shazam, baked cakes:



Now, I'm not a super huge fondant fan, so I've decided to do as much of this cake as I can footloose and fondant-free.  What does that mean for the ponies? Voila, royal icing characters.  My friend Tricia came over for assistance.  Enter ponies (and adorable little flags to decorate the top):



Here, pony, pony


You have no idea how excited we were about these.  But, that's all for today, folks. Cakes are chilling and ready for a good soaking of vanilla simple syrup and decoration tomorrow.

Check back later for more Cake in Progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment